Apple Pie. Our classic apple pie takes a shortcut with easy Pillsbury™ refrigerated pie crust! Baked with a filling of fresh apples and warm spices, there is as much simple joy in preparing this pie as there is in eating it. Each bite makes your friends and family feel warm, cozy and like they're wrapped in a hug.
Serve a la mode with a side of vanilla bean ice cream. In a small bowl, combine sugars, flour and spices; set aside. In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice. You can cook Apple Pie using 17 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Apple Pie
- It’s 4 of bramley apples, washed.
- Prepare 50 g of butter, plus extra to grease and dot.
- It’s 1-2 tsp of cinnamon.
- You need 4 of cloves, optional.
- Prepare 100 g of demerara sugar.
- Prepare 100-150 g of caster sugar.
- Prepare 3 of eating apples.
- Prepare of nutmeg.
- It’s 1 tbsp of flour, ground rice or semolina.
- It’s 1 tbsp of demerara or granulated sugar.
- Prepare of milk, for brushing.
- You need of For the pastry.
- Prepare 400 g of plain flour, or 350g plain and 50g spelt wholemeal.
- You need 200 g of cold butter, grated.
- You need 1 tbsp of caster sugar.
- You need 1 of egg, beaten.
- It’s 1 of lemon.
Melt the butter in a saucepan. Stir in flour to form a paste. Add water, white sugar and brown sugar, and bring to a boil. Apple pie is as all-American as dessert gets.
Apple Pie step by step
- First make the pastry. Mix the flours and grate in the cold butter, then mix to fine breadcrumbs with your fingers..
- Stir in the sugar and the zest of the lemon,then mix to a dough with the beaten egg, plus a little water if needed. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes..
- Peel the bramley apples and cut into chunks. Place the peel and cores in a small pan..
- Melt the butter in a large pan, add the cinnamon, cloves if using and demerara sugar and then stir in the apple chunks. Cook uncovered on a gentle simmer, stirring occasionally, until just starting to break up. Set aside to cool..
- At the same time cover the pan of peel and cores with cold water, bring to the boil, and simmer for 30 minutes. This is a slightly odd thing to do (create 'apple stock'), and I've never heard of it before but Felicity says it makes a difference so I went with it. Measure out 60ml and discard the rest. Butter a pie dish. Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4..
- Peel the eating apples and slice into small chunks. Add these to the cooked bramley apples together with 50ml apple stock, 100g caster sugar, a grating of nutmeg, and, Felicity suggests, the juice of half a lemon, but I missed this out. Taste, and add more sugar if you need to..
- Roll out two thirds of the pastry and use it to line the base of the pie dish. Sprinkle ground rice or semolina (or flour) in the base and then sprinkle 1 tbsp sugar in there too..
- Pile the cooled apple mixture into the pie crust. Dot with a little butter, dampen the edge of the pastry with milk and then cover with the pastry lid. Press down all round the edge and crimp the edge with your thumb and the blunt edge of a knife. Brush the top with the milk..
- Bake in the oven for around 30-45 minutes until golden. When you take it out sprinkle with sugar straight away. Leave to stand for 10 minutes before serving, so the insides firm up a little. Serve in big slices with cream..
It signifies the start of cozy fall days, and it's the ultimate dessert to kick off the season. In a large bowl, toss apple slices with lemon juice, sugar, flour, cinnamon, vanilla, and salt until well combined. Transfer apple mixture into the crust-lined pie dish. Place assembled pie on a rimmed baking sheet. Whether you prefer doing everything from scratch or getting a head start with pre-made piecrust, we've got all the recipes you need to satisfy your apple pie cravings.