Grandma's Apple Pie. Grandma's Apple Pie You'll elicit oohs and aahs every time you serve slices of this classic apple pie. The crisp crust is a nice complement to the tender apples. Melt the butter in a saucepan.
Toss the apples with the sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest, nutmeg, and salt. Whisk together the egg yolk and water to make an egg wash. Brush the inside edge of the pastry with the egg wash. You can have Grandma's Apple Pie using 13 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Grandma's Apple Pie
- Prepare of for filling.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour.
- You need 3/4 cup of sugar.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of ground cinnamon.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of ground nutmeg.
- It’s 1 pinch of salt.
- You need 6 cup of apples, peeled, cored and sliced, and tossed in lemon juice to preserve color.
- Prepare 1 of milk for brushing on before baking.
- Prepare 1 of lemon juice.
- Prepare of pie crust.
- You need 2 cup of flour.
- Prepare 2 stick of butter, room temperature.
- It’s 1/3 cup of water.
There is nothing better for dessert than a good old fashioned apple pie. It is one of the most popular desserts in America and is served any time of the year. Every time I see a beautiful lattice topped apple pie it reminds me of my Grandma. I can remember the days when she would spend all morning baking in the kitchen.
Grandma's Apple Pie instructions
- Make pie crust: Cut butter into the flour in tiny pieces. I mix it with the flour until the whole thing looks like crumbs. I am not afraid to use my (clean) hands, though gloves can be worn..
- Add the water, a little at a time, while kneading briefly until play dough consistency is achieved. Shape into a ball,cover the bowl and set aside..
- Mix the following:.
- Stir in the prepared apples.
- Roll out the crust and place it into a 9 inch pan. Reserve some dough for the lattice work later on..
- Add apple mix..
- Roll out left-over dough, cut into 1/2 inch strips, and artfully criss-cross them over the filling. Lightly moisten the parts that will need to stick to each other..
- Lightly brush with milk..
- Bake at 425°F for 15 minutes..
- Turn down oven to 350°F for 45 minutes..
- Enjoy while it is still warm!.
This is a recipe for apple pie that I got from allrecipes.com and it is THE BEST apple pie I have ever had. It is different that ordinary apple pie, the fresh apples are placed in the crust, covered in a lattice top and smothered in a decadent sauce. Whoever Grandma Ople is, I would really like to thank her for she sure knows how to make a mean apple pie! For my crust, I use a recipe for pie. Combine apples and lemon juice in mixing bowl.