White Sourdough. Find The Best Deals On White Sourdough And Save Money. White sourdough bread is perhaps the most simplistic form of sourdough bread baking. This post is all about using only strong white wheat flour for a plain white loaf of sourdough.
This white Sonora sourdough recipe comprises a good chunk of whole-grain wheat flour and yet doesn't taste anything like it. White Sonora is soft white wheat that is not typically used for hearth loaves but used more frequently as a basis for food like tortillas. My best sourdough recipe is very highly hydrated and can be challenging. You can have White Sourdough using 4 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of White Sourdough
- You need 400 grams of very strong white flour.
- You need 200 grams of white sourdough starter (100% hydration).
- You need 10 grams of salt.
- Prepare 275 ml of water.
Feel free to adjust the hydration to suit your environment and flour; as we know, each bag of flour can be different. If you're not used to working with high hydration dough, please start with hydration somewhere in the middle and slowly work up. Flour Selection Sourdough is an old form of bread leavening. It relies on a mix of wild yeast and lactic acid bacteria that are naturally present in flour, rather than baker's yeast, to leaven the dough.
White Sourdough step by step
- Mix ingredients together adding water last and keeping salt away from starter until water added.
- Bring together into a dough and knead well for 10-15 mins until smooth.
- Leave dough, covered at room temperature for 4-6 hours..
- Shape – using as little flour as possible- use oil if needed and a scraper.
- Leave to prove, covered, in a proving basket for another 3-4 hours.
- Sprinkle base with flour and turn out onto a baking surface – eg stone or pizza tray – heavily dusted with flour or semolina.
- Bake at 210C for 25 mins and 200 for a further 15.
- Turn oven off and leave bread on for a further 10 mins.
In a nutshell, sourdough is slow-fermented bread. It's unique because it does not require commercial yeast in order to rise. Instead, it's made with a live fermented culture, a sourdough starter, which acts as a natural leavening agent. Sourdough is known for its characteristic tangy flavor, chewy texture and crisp, crackly crust. This basic white sourdough bread recipe will make two one kilo sourdough loaves.