Southern Style Cornbread Dressing.
You can have Southern Style Cornbread Dressing using 21 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Southern Style Cornbread Dressing
- It’s of Buttermilk cornbread.
- It’s 1 cup of corn meal.
- Prepare 1 cup of all-purpose flour, use rice flour for GF.
- It’s 3 tbsp of sugar.
- It’s 1 tbsp of baking powder.
- You need 1 1/2 tsp of kosher salt.
- Prepare 2 of eggs lightly beaten.
- You need 1 cup of buttermilk.
- You need 1 stick of unsalted butter, melted.
- It’s of Cornbread Stuffing.
- Prepare 1 of 14 oz bag herb season stuffing mix, Pepperidge Farm makes a great one, there are several GF options if you prefer.
- It’s 2 stick of unsalted butter.
- It’s 2 cup of fine chopped onion.
- Prepare 1 1/2 cup of chopped celery.
- You need 3 clove of minced garlic.
- You need 5 cup of chicken or turkey stock.
- You need 5 of eggs lightly beaten.
- It’s 1/4 cup of chopped fresh sage.
- It’s 3 of sprigs thyme, leaves only.
- It’s 3 of tablespoons poultry seasoning blend.
- Prepare 1 of salt and pepper to taste.
Southern Style Cornbread Dressing step by step
- for cornbread, grease a 10" cast iron skillet and place in oven and preheat to 425.
- in large mixing bowl combine dry ingredients for cornbread, in separate bowl whisk together wet ingredients and then combine with dry ingredients. stir until just incorporated.
- pour batter in preheated skillet and smooth to edges, bake until golden but not over dry, about 16 minutes. remove from skillet immediately to completely cool.
- for cornbread dressing, preheat oven to 350. in a LARGE stock pot, crumble cornbread and mix in stuffing mix and stir in poultry seasoning.
- saute onion and celery in one stick of butter until translucent and stir into cornbread mixture.
- melt remaining stick of butter and in a large mixing bowl combine butter, stock, eggs, sage, and thyme.
- add stock mixture to cornbread mixture, stir well to thoroughly combine, season with salt and pepper.
- pour in to a well greased 9 x 13 casserole dish and bake at 350 uncovered until set, about 45 minutes.
- If doing the gluten free version check in early.. It tends to brown faster… Almost had a disaster.