Sourdough. Sourdough is a stable culture of lactic acid bacteria and yeast in a mixture of flour and water. Broadly speaking, the yeast produces gas (carbon dioxide) which leavens the dough, and the lactic acid bacteria produce lactic acid, which contributes flavor in the form of sourness. The lactic acid bacteria metabolize sugars that the yeast cannot, while the yeast metabolizes the by-products of.
All About Sourdough Starters All About Sourdough Starters What is Sourdough? Sourdough is essentially a natural yeast. There's yeast all around us: in the air, on our hands, on surfaces, etc. You can cook Sourdough using 5 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Sourdough
- You need 150 g of starter.
- Prepare 400 g of ap flour.
- It’s 125 g of whole wheat flour.
- It’s 420 g of water.
- It’s 12 g of salt.
Sourdough captures those natural yeasts and uses them as a leaven or raising agent. It also contains strains of the beneficial bacteria Lactobacillus, which helps with the raising process as well as fermentation. Sourdough is an emotional and a practical solution to fill your time and your bread basket. That's why there has never been a better time to get into the classic art of sourdough.
Sourdough step by step
- Combine flour and water into a shaggy dough and rest covered for two hours.
- Stretch and fold into dough starter and salt, cover and let rest..
- Every 30 minutes do a stretch and fold, and cover again, do this 4 times..
- After the last stretch and fold, let the dough ferment for about two more hours at room temperature..
- Transfer dough to bench and pre-shape, cover and let rest for 10 minutes..
- Shape dough and let it rest seam side down for a few minutes then place in a well floured proofing basket, use non-gluten flour, cover and proof in fridge for a few hours or overnight..
- Pre-heat oven to 475, score dough and cook in a dutch oven with the lid on for 27 minutes, remove the lid and cook for another 30 minutes at 450, or until crust is nice and dark..
- Turn oven off and crack open the door, take bread out of the dutch oven and place it back, let the bread cool slowly inside. Take it out of the oven and wait a few hours before cutting..
Sourdough refers both to bread, and to the starter used to make it. Starter begins with a combination of flour and liquid, and can range from a stiff starter made entirely with rye flour and water to a liquid batter of milk and cornmeal — with plenty of options in between. Sourdough bread is a rich source of vitamins and minerals. However, the same qualities that make sourdough bread so healthy can also create complications for people with certain medical conditions. This beginner's sourdough bread is a two day formula where the bread is cold proofed (retarded) in the fridge overnight.