You can cook Shepard Pie using 8 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Shepard Pie
- Prepare 1 1/2-2 pounds of potatoes (about 3 large potatoes), peeled and quartered.
- Prepare 8 Tablespoons (1 stick) of butter.
- It’s 1 of medium onion, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups).
- You need 1-2 cups of vegetables—diced carrots, corn, peas.
- Prepare 1 1/2 lbs of ground round beef.
- It’s 1/2 cup of beef broth.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce.
- It’s of Salt, pepper.
Shepard Pie instructions
- Boil the potatoes: Place the peeled and quartered potatoes in medium sized pot. Cover with at least an inch of cold water. Add a teaspoon of salt. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook until tender (about 20 minutes..
- 2 Sauté vegetables: While the potatoes are cooking, melt 4 tablespoons of the butter in a large sauté pan on medium heat. Add the chopped onions and cook until tender, about 6 to 10 minutes..
- Add the ground beef, then Worcestershire sauce and broth: Add ground beef to the pan with the onions and vegetables. Cook until no longer pink. Season with salt and pepper..
- Mash the cooked potatoes: When the potatoes are done cooking (a fork can easily pierce), remove them from the pot and place them in a bowl with the remaining 4 Tbsp of butter. Mash with a fork or potato masher, and season with salt and pepper to taste..
- 5 Layer the meat mixture and mashed potatoes in a casserole dish: Preheat oven to 400°F. Spread the beef, onions, and vegetables in an even layer in a large baking dish.
- Bake in oven: Place in a 400°F oven and cook until browned and bubbling, about 30 minutes. If necessary, broil for the last few minutes to help the surface of the mashed potatoes brown.
- Then serve.