Succotash with a twist 😉. This recipe puts a Brazilian twist on an American staple, succotash. It should be just the ticket in August, when millions of us watch the The classic version of succotash is a combination of fresh corn and lima beans (or some other shell bean), sometimes embellished with tomatoes or peppers. Succotash is an amazing Southern dish, traditionally its made with lima beans.
The Beans I was made to eat were never fresh, always frozen. Barbecue ribs with succotash._- Original Credit: Submitted photo (HANDOUT). The only succotash I ever knew of was the lima bean and corn mixture found in cans and freezer bags. You can cook Succotash with a twist 😉 using 22 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Succotash with a twist 😉
- You need 4 of sweet corn cobs, shucked.
- Prepare 1/2 of green bell pepper, diced.
- You need 1/2 of red bell pepper, diced.
- You need 1/2 of yellow bell pepper, diced.
- You need 1/2 of orange bell pepper, diced.
- Prepare 2 of carrots, diced.
- You need 10 of string beans, diced.
- It’s 1 cup of lima beans (substitute: kindney beans), cooked.
- It’s 1 cup of peas (green and/or white), cooked.
- You need 1 large of tomato, deseeded and diced.
- Prepare 5 clove of garlic, minced.
- It’s 1 tbsp of olive oil, extra virgin.
- Prepare of salt.
- You need of freshly ground black pepper.
- It’s of red chilli flakes.
- It’s 1 tsp of lime juice.
- Prepare 1 cup of vegetable broth (substitute with a single stock cube dissolved in water).
- You need 1 bunch of parseley, finely chopped.
- Prepare 1 large of zucchini, diced.
- You need of garnish.
- It’s 1 piece of cabbage, thinly shredded.
- It’s dash of parseley, chopped.
Some research found that succotash is actually a Native American dish containing corn and beans. Succotash – a healthy and easy side dish that features summer's favorite fresh produce with a little touch of heat for flavor. A wholesome dish to go with your favorite grilled meat or a centerpiece for any meal. Succotash (from Narragansett sohquttahhash, "broken corn kernels") is a culinary dish consisting primarily of sweet corn with lima beans or other shell beans.
Succotash with a twist 😉 step by step
- Cook or steam the sweet corn until the skin of the corn feels less fibrous.
- Take the olive oil in a wok on very high heat. Add the minced garlic, and roast the garlic until the smell changes. There is no need to completely brown the garlic..
- Add the tougher vegetables, like carrots, string beans, bell peppers, zucchini and Lima beans/kidney beans. Add the salt. Toss on high heat for about 2 minutes until heated through..
- Add the boiled or steamed sweet corn. Continue tossing on high heat for about 5 minutes..
- Add the black pepper and chilli flakes. Add the lime juice as well..
- Add the parsley, tomato and toss for another minute. Add the broth, at this point. Cook for 2 more minutes on high heat..
- Take the contents onto the serving dish and garnish with the parsley and the shredded cabbage..
- Serve hot, with rice, or as an appetizer portion. Enjoy!.
Other ingredients may be added including corned beef, potatoes, turnips, salt pork, tomatoes, multi-colored sweet peppers, and okra. With fresh soybeans in place of traditional limas, our corn, bacon, and red-pepper succotash takes on a new twist. The requested article has expired, and is no longer available. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. This classic corn succotash gets a twist with protein packed edamame and fresh grilled tomatoes!