Traditional Kenyan Chicken Stew. Chicken stew you can eat with Kenyan ugali and greens, rice and chapati #chickenstew #chickenstewkenyanstyle #cookwithme #food #viral. Recipe of preparing chicken stew meal the Kenyan way: Chicken stew is one meal enjoyed by most people across Kenya though the Luhya community is known for it's undying love for this meal. There are different ways of preparing chicken but today we are going to feature chicken stew.
However if you prefer kienyeji, see recipe here. Kenyan stew can include a number of different meats: beef stew, goat stew, chicken stew or any other animal stew. Though it's not a traditional Kenyan food staple, there's something about the burgers in Kenya that have the power to make one smile with happiness. You can have Traditional Kenyan Chicken Stew using 11 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Traditional Kenyan Chicken Stew
- Prepare 1 of whole chicken.
- Prepare of Ginger.
- Prepare of Garlic.
- It’s of Seasoning cube (maggi).
- Prepare of Cumin (optional).
- Prepare of Fennel (optional).
- You need of Parsley or coriander.
- It’s 1 of green pepper.
- It’s 1 of habanero pepper.
- It’s 4-6 of big tomatoes.
- It’s of Crayfish.
Kenyan stew can include a number of different meats: beef stew, goat stew, chicken stew or any other animal stew. Kenyan stew dishes might also include a few other base vegetable ingredients such as carrots, peppers, peas, or potatoes. Fry the Chicken pieces with chopped Onion and a tablespoon of gravy browning. Although Kenyan stew can be prepared with goat or chicken, the most popular and traditional version is made with chunks of beef, oil, onions, curry powder, tomatoes, coriander, and garlic.
Traditional Kenyan Chicken Stew step by step
- Was the chicken pieces and place in a pot..
- Crush the fennel and cumin and add it to the chicken. Also add curry, maggi, salt, pounded fresh ginger and garlic. Cover the pot and allow to cook for an hour..
- When cooked, drain the water. (Sieve the chicken stock. Refrigerate or freeze. You can use it in other stews or for your jollof rice 😉). Keep the chicken aside and place a clean pot on fire and get the vegetables in order..
- Pour in your vegetable oil and the diced onion and garlic powder (or fresh garlic). Allow the onion to soften then pour in the chopped tomatoes. Leave on low heat for about 10 minutes to fry before adding the sliced green pepper..
- Add the chicken pieces and 2 maggi cubes. No need to put lots of seasoning because the chicken was boiled with enough. Cover the pot and leave to cook for a bit. Then add the choped parsley or coriander and a teaspoon of crayfish. Cover and let simmer for about 5 minutes and its ready..
The base is typically prepared with ingredients such as peppers, peas, potatoes, and carrots. Chicken Stew – with crispy skin! Anyone else here not a fan of slimy chicken skin?? I don't care how long it's been slow cooked. And whether it's a Because I'm so anti-slimy chicken skin, I like to make my Chicken Stew in the oven rather than on the stove.