Kahk (Egyptian Shortbread).
You can cook Kahk (Egyptian Shortbread) using 7 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Kahk (Egyptian Shortbread)
- You need 2/3 of cups- Unsalted butter.
- You need 1/2 cup of vegetable oil.
- It’s 5 1/2 cups of All purpose flour.
- It’s 1 1/2 tsp of Instant yeast.
- You need 1 tsp of Sugar.
- You need 150 ml of water – lukewarm.
- Prepare of Powdered sugar.
Kahk (Egyptian Shortbread) step by step
- Melt butter and mix with vegetable oil in a bowl..
- In a separate large bowl, add the flour and salt and mix. Create a well in the centre..
- Take your warm water, yeast and sugar and combine leaving the yeast to active (which is when you see foams being formed at the top surface of the water)This may take 10-15 mins..
- In the well created previously, add in the yeast mixture and the butter + oil mixture and combine very well..
- Knead the dough for about 5-10 until it all comes together and allow to rest for about an hour..
- Preheat your oven to 160 C degrees..
- Shape the dough into balls then flatten them out slightly. Note**** these cookies don't spread out as much as you would think and so I would advise you to shape the cookies according to the size you want them to be after they are cooked.. They do however rise in the oven as they cook..
- Place them into your tray, and using a fork create holes which will allow the powdered sugar to sit in the cookies once baked and served..
- Bake in preheated oven for about 15 mins. At this point they would have only cooked from the inside… So the next thing you want to do is increase the temperature to 200C degrees and cooked them for about 5-10 mins or until golden brown from the top..
- Finally after they are cooked, cool and sprinkle with powdered sugar just before serving..
- With this recipe, the shortbread/cookie itself only contain 1 tsp of sugar, which means that you can control how much sugar you want when serving… Which is for sure one of the things I love about these cookies..