Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes. Whisk in milk and cook until thick and bubbly. In a small bowl, combine the flour, salt and pepper; sprinkle half over potatoes. Most scalloped potatoes don't have cheese. (Potatoes au gratin do.) But we couldn't resist adding cheddar between each potato layer.
A traditional Au Gratin Potato dish, on the other hand, has grated cheese sprinkled between the layers, resulting in a cheesy, more decadent dish. Arrange one-third of potato slices in bottom of prepared pan. Sprinkle potatoes with ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper, and ¼ cup each Parmesan and Cheddar. You can have Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes using 9 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes
- It’s 6 of Thinly Sliced Potatoes (Peeled).
- Prepare 4 tbsp of Butter.
- You need 4 tbsp of Flour.
- It’s 2 cup of Whipping Cream.
- It’s 1 tsp of Garlic Salt.
- Prepare 1 tsp of Cayenne Pepper.
- Prepare 1 1/2 cup of Sharp Cheddar Cheese (Shredded).
- You need 6 slice of Cooked Bacon (Chopped).
- You need 1/2 cup of Sharp Cheddar Cheese (Shredded, to sprinkle on top).
Pour heavy cream over the potatoes and sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Add in garlic, salt, nutmeg, and pepper. Toss together until cheese and seasonings are evenly dispersed. Spread out into the prepared baking dish.
Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes step by step
- In a small sauce pan on low heat melt butter and blend in flour.
- Whisk in the whipping cream.
- Add garlic salt and cayenne pepper.
- Cook sauce on low until smooth and boiling, stirring occasionally with a whisk.
- Reduce heat stir in cheese and bacon.
- Place half of the sliced potatoes in a slightly greased casserole dish.
- Pour half the cheese sauce over the potatoes.
- Repeat with a second layer of potatoes and cheese sauce.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese and some cayenne pepper.
- Bake uncovered for about an hour at 350°.
I would love to add an extra emphasis on the word "cheesy" in this recipe. If you love your scalloped potatoes to be totally smothered in a creamy cheese sauce, without a single dry potato in the house, then this recipe is for you. Mix potatoes with remaining ingredients in large bowl. Scalloped potatoes are a classic side dish made with thinly sliced potatoes layered and baked until hot and bubbly. A classic scalloped potato recipe doesn't include cheese and is made with a roux (white sauce).