You can have Kenyan Delicacy"Githeri" using 16 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Kenyan Delicacy"Githeri"
- Prepare 2 cups of or cans (400g) of boiled and salted corn(corn is used if you don't have the actual maize seeds).
- Prepare 2 of and 1/2 cups boiled beans.(you can use any but red beans are much more preferable i personally prefer the red large beans.).
- It’s of Note: you can also boil them, using pressure cooker its will take only 45 minutes if hard or 30 minutes if soft.
- Prepare of For Jiko: boil for 1hr 30minutes beans then add soft maize and boil for 30 minutes while cooker its same as pressure cooker.
- You need 4 pieces of carrots.
- It’s 1 of large yellow capsicum(pili pili hoho) or two small one.
- You need 1 of large red capsicum(pili pili hoho) or two small ones.
- Prepare 2 of large green capsicum(pili pili hoho) or 4 small ones.
- Prepare 2 of large tomatoes or 4 medium tomatoes or half a can of canned 400g tomato paste.
- Prepare 1 of large onion.
- It’s 3 cloves of garlic (kitungu saumu).
- You need of small bunch of coriander leaves(dhania).
- You need 3 tablespoons of cooking oil.
- Prepare 1/4 of salt(optional).
- Prepare of I teaspoon of Royco powder or 2 royco cubes(optional).
- It’s of I teaspoon of red chili or black chili(pepper) (optional).
Kenyan Delicacy"Githeri" instructions
- The first step if you boiled by yourself is to ensure both the corn(maize) and beans are soft but not mashed hence its important to regularly check on them after 20 minutes unless you are using pressure cooker. If soft drain them and then set them aside. Cut the onions,capsicums,carrots,garlic and tomatoes to small pieces..
- The first step if you boiled by yourself is to ensure both the corn(maize) and beans are soft but not mashed hence its important to regularly check on them after 20 minutes unless you are using pressure cooker. If soft drain them and then set them aside..
- Under medium level of heat on the cooker pour the oil into a cooking pan or pot, then add the onions, wait until they turn brown then the garlic,after 2minutes add the capsicum and carrots after 3 minutes. Allow it to cook for 3 minutes then add the tomatoes and/or tomato paste and chili/pepper and stir well until the water from tomatoes has reduced..
- Add the boiled beans and corn/maize to the above mixture and mix them together at this time you can add a pinch of salt if if it was not enough earlier. Continue stirring then take the royco powder or cubes crush them pour into a cup with a small amount of water, stir then pour into the mixture, you can now add the coriander leaves. Continue stirring and ensure the water in the githeri can be barely seen or you can stir until it completely evaporates.(takes only 10minutes).
- Remove from the cooker and serve. You can eat it alone, or with rice or chapati as an accompaniment alongside a cold or warm glass of juice depending with the weather..
- Thank you for reading my recipe. Please try it out the more you cook it the shorter the amount of time you spend preparing it..