Cottage pie. Classic, epic Cottage Pie made properly, with a luscious filling. Cottage Pie – comfort food central! Therefore, when housewives bought their Sunday meat they selected pieces large enough to.
In this cooking video The Wolfe Pit uses Gordon Ramsay's recipe to show you how to make Cottage Pie. Warming to the tips of your toes, a comforting dish of cottage pie is one of the best things about Make it special with Mary Berry's dauphinoise topped cottage pie, or keep it simple with James. Proper English Cottage Pie is a delicious, very traditional mince pie (beef) topped with mashed potato. You can cook Cottage pie using 8 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Cottage pie
- It’s 450 g of beef mince.
- Prepare 2 sticks of celery.
- You need 2 of medium carrots.
- You need 1 of red onion.
- Prepare 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil.
- Prepare 3 tsp of bisto beef gravy granules.
- It’s 1 tablespoons of tomato puree.
- Prepare 5 of medium sized Maris Piper potatoes.
Being from Australia, cottage pie is a favourite when it comes to comfort food for the family. Traditional cottage pie with a rich meaty sauce, topped with creamy mashed potato, crisped up to golden perfection. Check out my tip for ensuring also get a jug of delicious gravy to pour on top. Cottage pie is a delicious variation of the classic shepherd's pie, and it's fairly simple to make at home!
Cottage pie step by step
- Peel and chop the potatoes and put onto boil. These take approx 18mins from reaching the boil. Drain and mash these with a splash of milk and a knob of real butter. Go for a wetter mash as you need to be able to spread it on top of the meat mix later..
- Whilst the potato cooks, dice up the onion, celery and carrots and in a separate pan saute these in the vegetable oil..
- Once the vegetables have softened a little add the tomato puree. Then add the minced beef to brown. Keep stirring so that any lumps are broken up..
- When the meat is browned add in the gravy granules and a little water (about 1/4 pint) to make the mixture wet and gravy coated but not swimming. Spoon this into a n ovenproof dish..
- Add the mash to the dish. Spread it out to cover all the meat mixture. You can leave the dish at this point if you need to prepare ahead of mealtime..
- When ready to get the meal together put the dish into a 200° oven for approx 30 mins. If you like cheese add some grated cheddar to top the dish for the last 15 mins.
- Serve with boiled or steamed vegetables on the side with beef gravy..
Use beef, rather than lamb, and fill your pie with sautéed onions, carrots, and celery. Easy to make, this delicious cottage pie is packed with veggies, mince, and a big dash of Worcestershire sauce for an extra kick of flavour. See recipes for Keema Cottage Pie, Cottage Pie too. The sauce is really simple and flavourful, but the best part is the insanely fluffy mashed potato topping. Shepherd's Pie Is The Definition Of Comfort Food.