Pork, Apple & Shropshire Blue Pies.
You can have Pork, Apple & Shropshire Blue Pies using 12 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Pork, Apple & Shropshire Blue Pies
- Prepare of For the hot crust pastry.
- It’s of plain flour.
- You need of strong plain flour.
- It’s of unsalted butter.
- It’s of melted lard (or vegetable shortening).
- It’s of & ½ teaspoons salt.
- You need of boiling water.
- Prepare of beaten egg (to glaze).
- Prepare of For the filling.
- You need of lean pork mince.
- You need of apple sauce.
- You need of Shropshire Blue (finely chopped).
Pork, Apple & Shropshire Blue Pies instructions
- Pre-heat oven to 220°C/425°F/Gas Mark 7.
- To make the pastry, add both flours to a large bowl and rub in the butter. Add the salt to the boiling water so that it dissolves. Add the melted lard into the boiling water/salt and then pour this into the flour mixture. Initially, because it will be HOT, mix this with a spoon so that the pastry starts to form. Once cool enough take the dough out of the bowl and transfer to a lightly floured surface..
- Work the dough into a ball. Roll it out to a thickness of around 1cm and then cut into circles of around 10cms, enough to fit each “well” of a muffin tin. Press these into the muffin tins and then cut out another 12 circles of around 8cms for the lids of the pies..
- In another bowl mix together the pork mine, apple sauce and chopped up cheese. Fill the pastry cases (before putting the lids on) about ¾ of the way up with the mixture. After putting the lids on and sealing & crimping them, make a small hole in the top to allow steam to escape. Glaze each pie with beaten egg and then pop into the oven and bake for 50-55 minutes until golden brown..
- Remove from oven, stand for 5 minutes and then remove each pie from the muffin tin. Allow to cool on a wire rack before transferring to a fridge. Will keep for 3-4 days..