Kentucky Inspired Fried Taters with Cheese and Bacon.
You can cook Kentucky Inspired Fried Taters with Cheese and Bacon using 9 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Kentucky Inspired Fried Taters with Cheese and Bacon
- You need of large whole potatoes – if russets, peel. If a thin-skinned potato, your call.
- You need of kosher salt.
- Prepare of thick-cut bacon – diced.
- Prepare of shallot or small onion – quartered and sliced thin.
- You need of OPTIONAL: ~1 scant cup other veggies if you like (I don’t do this but it’s your dinner – BE A BOSS!!).
- Prepare of Salt, pepper and smoked paprika.
- Prepare of shredded cheese (I like to mix medium cheddar and Monterey Jack – and I like to use more cheese 🧀🧀🧀).
- Prepare of ~1-2 or more Tbsps butter (your call if you use salted or unsalted butter – just NO margarine).
- You need of Beverage of your choice.
Kentucky Inspired Fried Taters with Cheese and Bacon instructions
- Par-cook your taters. I like to put mine in a saucepan, cover with cold water and add the 2 Tbsps kosher salt. Bring to a boil and cook for ~10 mins. Remove taters, set aside to cool completely (at least 3 hours – can be done a few days in advance and chilled). Then cut in half lengthwise and slice into 1/2 inch “half moons”. Set aside..
- Pour yourself a drink – you deserve it. You’re making dinner!!.
- In a large fry pan, cook diced bacon low and slow (well, actually medium low heat) to render out the fat (you’ll need ~ 3 Tbsps fat). Remove bacon from pan with a slotted spoon and add to a plate lined with paper towels..
- Add to the bacon fat your sliced shallots or onion (and veggies if you so choose). Sauté on medium heat until tender. Remove to a bowl and set aside..
- Take sip – I’m thirsty! 🍹🍹.
- Add 1 Tbsps butter to the fry pan and add your first layer of cooled tater-half-moons. Do NOT crowd the pan. Season lightly with salt, pepper and smoked paprika. Brown to your liking on one side, then flip and and brown lightly. Remove to a separate plate. Repeat with following layers, add more butter if needed. Keep going until the last layer of potatoes are in the fry pan and flipped..
- Add all the fried taters and veggies back to the pan and cover with cheese. Turn heat down to low or medium-low (you know your stove) and cover with a lid for ~3-5 mins until cheese is melted. Or if you prefer brown and bubbly, put your OVEN-SAFE pan under the broiler uncovered for a few minutes (DO NOT LEAVE UNSUPERVISED – or have really good home/renters insurance).
- Phew!!!! That was stressful! I need a drink..
- Top your amazing taters and cheese with the cooked bacon. By this time you need a refill 🍸. Then plate and enjoy!.