Kale pie. Spread half the batter over the bottom, then top with the kale filling; spread the remaining batter over the kale, using your fingers or a rubber spatula to make sure there are no gaps in the top. For the Italian kale pie: Bring a large pan of salted water to a boil. Add the kale and return to a boil.
Add salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat and cool slightly. Add eggs and pour into a buttered, shallow baking dish or pie pan. You can cook Kale pie using 12 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Kale pie
- Prepare 2 bunch of kale.
- It’s 1 small of onion, chopped.
- It’s 3 clove of garlic.
- You need 1 of few mint leaves.
- You need 1/4 cup of dill, chopped.
- Prepare 1/4 lb of feta cheese.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of olive oil.
- Prepare 4 of sheets of phyllo dough #10 the best, plus extra for topping if you like extra crispy.
- It’s 1/4 cup of melted butter, for brushing.
- Prepare 1 of salt and pepper.
- You need 1 of egg.
- It’s 1/4 cup of milk.
Melt remaining butter in a skillet and saute bread crumbs until golden. Kale pie is a true veggie lover's delight. Tuscan kale, also called black leaf kale, dinosaur kale, Lacinato kale, or cavolo nero, appears in the markets in November and continues through spring. It is one of the oldest vegetables in the cabbage family.
Kale pie instructions
- In a large frying pan cook onion with olive oil until soft, then add garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Chop kale, remove stems and add to the pan. Cook until wilted..
- Remove from heat, add crumbled feta cheese, mint and dill and pepper. Depending how salty your feta is you need to adjust salt..
- Wisk milk and egg until combined and add to kale.
- Take the phyllo from refrigerator, you have to work fast so it doesn't dry out. Put one sheet on working surface and brush with butter, repeat with the rest of sheets.
- Fit the sheets in a pan(i used Pyrex square 7×7). Let excess dough overhang. Spoon the fillingin and close with overhang. You can put few more pieces on top to make it extra crispy. Score the top dough into pieces that you will be serving, be careful don't cut all the way to bottom dough). Bake at 375 for about an hour. If top gets too dark cover with aluminum foil.
- Alternatively this pie can be done in pie crust, if easier for you. Make sure you have top and bottom crust. Enjoy.
Layer in the kale mixture, then cover with the remaining batter. Combine onion and kale and stir in beaten eggs. Add cheeses and stir, then season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg and stir once more time. Let cool slightly before slicing and serving. In this vegetarian white bean potpie recipe, kale and hearty white beans are topped with easy, homemade chive biscuits.